If you love playing action fantasy games, where you can freely roam the fantasy world while combating monsters and demons, here are top 20 games like Witcher 3.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the third installment of The Witcher series, a popular fantasy action-RPG game series developed by CD Projekt Red.
The Witcher 3 is available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One platforms, and it was first released in 2015.
It features an open world gameplay that allows you to roam the world within the game freely without having to follow a fixed storyline.
You can choose whether you want to complete the main storyline or complete the side quests first.
If you love playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, where you can freely roam the fantasy world while combating monsters and demons along the way, there are many games that can be a good alternative to it.
Our List Of Games Like Witcher 3
Here are the top 20 games like The Witcher 3 that you should check out if you want a similar gameplay experience:
Dragon Age: Inquisition is a fantasy action-RPG developed by BioWare which was released in 2014 for Windows, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
- It is the third major installment in the Dragon Age series, which was first released in 2009. Dragon Age: Inquisition offers better graphics, larger world, more variations of monsters, and more variations of magic and skills to use for your characters.
- In this game, you can choose between the race of human, dwarf, or elf, and between the class of the warrior, rogue, and mage, all with their own characteristics, battle skills, as well as offensive and defensive abilities.
- You will explore the world called Thedas, which is a large continent with lots of cities, villages, and towns to visit and explore. It is set in the time of civil wars between various factions.
Bound by Flame – Games Like Witcher 3
In Bound by Flame, you have a choice to make. As a hero, you are possessed by demonic power that is so great that you can use it to rule the world.
- You can choose to accept and use that great demonic power and use it for your own selfish purposes, or you can simply reject such a power and develop the necessary characteristics to be a true hero instead.
- Bound by Flame offers dark fantasy action-RPG elements that allow you to fight monsters and develop various skills in the process.
- The game was released in 2014 for Windows, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Linux platforms.
- You are given the freedom to customize your character at the start of the game.
- It has a fixed main story element, but you can still have the freedom to complete side quests in-between the story missions.
The combat system offers tactical strategy elements where you can choose to attack enemies with light, medium or heavy attacks.
The Risen series was first released in 2009. Risen 3: Titan Lords was the latest installment in the Risen series, continuing the story told in the previous titles.
- In Risen 3: Titan Lords, the Titans are going berserk because the gods have abandoned the world.
- Humanity is plunging deeper into struggle and misery as the Titan Lords are gaining more and more power.
- As a part of humanity, you are forced to face this menace and fight the Titans to regain the strength of the whole humanity back.
- Set in a dark fantasy world, this action RPG offers you the freedom and exploration similar to The Witcher 3, with combats that are perfected when compared to the previous titles.
- There are guilds and factions where you can join yourself in, and Risen 3: Titan Lords also offers magic abilities that will help you greatly in your battles.
This game was released in 2014, and it is available for Windows, Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4.
The Legend of Zelda has been around since a long time, but Breath of the Wild is different. It is different because it is the biggest Zelda game to date that offers a large world map that you can freely explore during the gameplay.
- You can complete the main storyline one after the other, or you can just do some relaxing things in-between missions, such as cooking, climbing, gathering foods, and more.
- As with any Zelda game, the world is called Hyrule, and the character that you play is called Link.
- After 200 years slumber, you awakened from your long sleep only to find out that the Calamity Ganon has shrouded the entire area of Hyrule.
- This is where your adventure starts. You have to find the way to stop Calamity Ganon from destroying the Kingdom of Hyrule. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was released in 2017 for Nintendo WiiU and Switch.
Horizon Zero Dawn
Unlike many other fantasy role-playing games that are usually set in the era long past gone, Horizon Zero Dawn offers a different perspective.
- It is set in the future where Earth no longer belongs to human beings. Instead, the Earth is being dominated by highly advanced robots of various types and sizes.
- You are a young machine hunter that has the purpose to find out what’s really going on with the world, as well as find out who you truly are.
- In Horizon Zero Dawn, you can explore the lush and vibrant world freely while defeating monstrous machines along the way.
- You will also meet people from other tribes that will help you in your adventure.
- This game offers fast-paced action-RPG elements where you can level up your character to reach their full potential.
The expansion of this game, titled The Frozen Wild, is also available. Horizon Zero Dawn was released in 2017 for the PS4 system.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a fantasy dungeon crawler action-RPG developed by Bethesda Game Studios, which was initially released in 2011 for Windows, PS3, and Xbox 360.
- Subsequently, the publisher released the enhanced version of the game for the modern consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Switch), with improved graphics, expansions, and various additions.
- Until today, Skyrim still has a loyal community of players, especially because it also offers the ability for players to mod the game.
- In Skyrim, you play as a character that is born with the power of dragon called Dragonborn, amidst two opposing factions in the land of Skyrim.
- Further in the game, you can choose which faction to join, and thus, affect the storyline that you experience.
- The game can be played both in first-person and third-person perspective, and you are allowed to customize the appearance and skills of your characters at the start of the game.
You can freely explore the area of Skyrim as you complete story missions and side quests.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a fantasy action-RPG with compelling story elements that are set around the Roman Empire era.
- The game is set at the region called Bohemia, which is the region that belongs to the Roman Empire located in the center of Europe.
- War, corruption, and chaos ensue in this once rich and beautiful region since the ruler, Emperor Charles IV, died. The crown is passed to his son, but unfortunately, the son is not a good ruler.
- As Henry, the son of the blacksmith, you will embark on an adventure around the region of Bohemia.
- When the new ruler was kidnapped by his half-brother, the kingdom is left with no king on the throne.
- You joined with the resistance force that tries to stop the chaos that happens in the land.
This is your adventure to be the true hero of the land. Kingdom Come: Deliverance was released in 2015 for Windows, PS4, and Xbox One.
Lords of the Fallen – Games Like Witcher 3
In Lords of the Fallen, you are playing as a convicted criminal named Harkyn in a dark fantasy medieval world where sins never go unpunished.
- However, despite many sins that you have committed, you are up for redemption. Just before that happens, chaos ensues in the human world due to the attacks made by the long-defeated god.
- As a result, you are tasked with a new mission as a way to redeem yourself, which is to stop the war and chaos that shrouded the human world.
- One unique system that Lords of the Fallen has is that when you die, you will become ghost.
- You will not be able to earn your XP if you cannot unite your ghost with your body.
This game features various weapon types, various attack types, gears, difficult enemies, and the choice of three classes. Lords of the Fallen is available for PC, PS4, Xbox One, Android, and iOS.
This gothic-style fantasy action-RPG is made by the developer of the Dark Souls series, FromSoftware. In Bloodborne, you will be able to explore the world called Yharnam, an ancient city where mysterious diseases and illnesses are spreading uncontrollably.
- Monsters and undead are roaming the city, and you are required to uncover its secrets and mysteries.
- The DLC called The Old Hunters was released to add more story elements to the game.
- Bloodborne was released in 2015, and it is available for PS4.
- The game features explorable dark gothic world, various weapons with strategic combat, highly-detailed graphics with atmospheric lighting, and dynamic dungeons to explore where dangers are lurking everywhere.
Conan Exiles – Games Like The Witcher 3
Conan Exiles is an action survival RPG set in a world based on Conan The Barbarian story, with its open world setting and freedom of exploration.
- In this game, you will need to survive in the savage world where monsters, dangerous animals, and other clans are a constant threat to your existence.
- You will be required to gather resources and build the strength of your clan in order to survive better.
- You will start with nothing, but as you progress in the game, you will be able to build various things, craft weapons, and dominate the land.
You can also build an army to banish other clans. Conan Exiles was released in 2018 for Windows, Xbox One, and PS4.
Developed by a German developer Piranha Bytes, Gothic II was a big success in their country of origin, which was later released in 2003 in the US by Atari.
- It is the continuation of Gothic that was released in 2001. Gothic II offers a gameplay similar to its predecessor, featuring third-person fantasy action RPG with dynamic storyline.
- The enhanced version of this game, called Gothic II: Gold Edition was published by THQ Nordic in 2010, offering graphical improvements and Night of the Raven DLC.
- In Gothic II, there are lots of missions to complete, and the choice that you make will determine the course of your storyline.
There are lots of characters to meet, lots of spells to cast, and lots of weapons to use. You can roam the world freely while completing all the missions. Gothic II is available only for Windows.
Middle-earth: Shadow of War is the sequel of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, a fantasy open-world action RPG that is set in the world based on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
- Shadow of War was released in 2017 for Windows, PS4, and Xbox One, featuring the continuation of the story narrative as told in the previous game.
- With the same character to control, Talion, you will be able to explore the dark fantasy world while defeating monsters and undead creatures.
- The definitive edition of Middle-earth: Shadow of War features two Nemesis expansions, namely Slaughter Tribe and Outlaw Tribe, and two story expansions, which are Blade of Galadriel and Desolation of Mordor.
Final Fantasy XV is the latest installment of the long-running Final Fantasy series developed by Square Enix. Released in 2016 and available for PS4, Xbox One, and Windows, Final Fantasy XV offers a different kind of gameplay.
- It introduces the open-world element where you can roam the world freely, unlike the previous Final Fantasy titles where you follow a fixed storyline.
- In Final Fantasy XV, you play as Noctis, a crown prince of Lucis nation that needs to take on adventure with his companions to fight the empire of Niflheim.
- Since its release, Square Enix has released various add-ons for this game. Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition features the main game and all the add-ons available for the game.
Monster Hunter: World is the most recent title from the Monster Hunter series developed by Capcom. The game was released in 2018 for PS4, Xbox One, and Windows.
- In Monster Hunter: World, you will be able to roam the world of Monster Hunter, which is made even larger than any previous games in the series.
- You will be able to fight and defeat various types of monsters, collect materials, create stronger weapons, tame the monsters, and many more.
- Each area or habitat has its own types of monsters, and you will need to use different strategies in order to be able to defeat them.
- You can play this game both in single player or multiplayer mode.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is the planned expansion to be released for this game, featuring more monsters, quests, and story elements. It is planned to be released in the third quarter of 2019.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice brings you to the Sengoku Era of 1500s, where wars and conflicts are constantly occurring among clans of Japan.
- As a one-armed warrior who is tasked to protect the young lord that belongs to an ancient bloodline, you will be required to battle all enemies that are coming your way.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice offers the whole vistas of 1500s era Japan where you can explore freely while completing the main missions and side quests.
- With the prosthetic arm which you can modify as you progress through the game, you will be able to use various types of deadly weapons to help you win your battles with the enemies, as well as level up your skills and powers.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice was released in 2019 for Windows, PS4, and Xbox One.
Fable III – Games Like The Witcher 3
Fable III is the latest sequel from the Fable series, an open-world action RPG with fantasy elements that allow you to explore the continent of Albion that has emerged into the age of industrialism.
- Set in 50 years after the event in Fable II, it still retains the same kind of gameplay as its predecessors.
- In Fable III, you will be required to defend your kingdom from threats that can be dangerous for the people.
- Thus, you need to raise your arms together with the people to take over the land of Albion.
- Whatever your decision, it will affect the lives of the people throughout the land. Fable III is available for Windows, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning offers a fantasy open-world action RPG with gameplay similar to The Witcher 3.
With massive world to explore and discover, you will be able to complete various quests, fight enemies, level up your characters, discover hidden treasures, and more.
- There are five major regions that you can explore in this game, as well as four races to choose.
- Each race that is featured in this game has their own class trees, each with different abilities to acquire.
- In Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, you will be able to develop your skills and customize your characters with endless combinations of armors, weapons, skills, and abilities. This game is available in Windows, PS3, and Xbox 360.
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is an open world fantasy action RPG that gives the player a huge world to explore. It is an expanded and enhanced version of the original Dragon’s Dogma game that was released for PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.
- Dark Arisen offers the expanded world, along with various new features that you can experience, and it is primarily focused for PC and modern consoles.
- In Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, you can customize your character’s appearance at the start of the game. You will also need to defeat the dragon that has stolen your heart.
- There are various monsters to defeat along your journey, as well as various jobs and skills to choose. Online features are also available for Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen.
Neverwinter Nights 2 is the second installment of the Neverwinter series, the game that features fantasy RPG that is set around the city called Neverwinter.
- The game consists of three parts, which you will need to go through in order to complete the game.
- In each part of the game, you will be presented with a new storyline, with different characters that are featured in it.
- The game has received three expansion packs, which are Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir, and Mysteries of Westgate.
- It was released in 2006 for Windows and 2008 for Mac.
Dark Souls III – Games Like The Witcher 3
Dark Souls III is the third installment of the Dark Souls series, a dark fantasy action RPG developed by FromSoftware.
- In this game, you play in third-person perspective, and using various choices of weapons and skills, you need to defeat the enemies that you face.
- Dark Souls III is known to be a game with high difficulty, with enemies being very strong and difficult to defeat most of the time.
- In this game, you will need to explore the world that has turned into the Age of Darkness, where undead and monsters are rising from the dead and create chaos in the world.
- As with the previous games, you can choose the best weapons and skills to defeat each monster.
Dark Souls III was released in 2016 for PS4, Xbox One, and Windows.
In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, you are playing as Geralt, the Witcher who has been trained to combat various monsters since his childhood days, in a fantasy continent where humans and extra-dimensional beings live together.
Geralt has various magical powers that you can level up throughout the game, as well as various fighting skills and abilities. There are two expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, titled Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.
If you love playing a game like The Witcher 3, where you are free to explore the world while completing the main missions and side quests, these are the alternatives that you should play.
These games offer similar gameplay as The Witcher 3, with fantasy elements, lots of weapon choices, magic, skills, and leveling up abilities that can make your character stronger. You should try at least one of them!
So, tell me which one of these games like Witcher 3 is your personal favorite and why?