If you are unaware of the most popular MMORPGs to play, you can always pick one from the list of these 20 most played MMORPGs.
Among various types of online gaming genres, MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) is one of the most interesting one to get yourself hooked into for months or even years.
With this genre, you can get the feel of adventure and growth in the fantasy world where you can develop your characters from the basic low level.
You will then need to build your characters with skills, abilities, armors, weapons, and so on by completing quests, battling monsters, and going through the storyline.
Once you’ve determined the game’s popularity and player base, it’s time to choose the best title that fits your preferences.
Our List Of Most Popular MMORPGs
Here are the top 20 most played MMORPGs—the best and most popular MMORGPs that you can play right now:
The Elder Scrolls Online
For the majority of Skyrim fans, The Elder Scrolls Online provides the complete experience to explore the whole of Tamriel area while leveling up their characters and doing quests together with other players.
This is why this game still has a lot of players worldwide, giving you the opportunity to enjoy the game with others cooperatively without any problem.
- It allows you to explore Tamriel freely, with additional content being added regularly.
- Elswyer is the newest chapter on The Elder Scrolls Online.
- Some DLCs have been released for this game, including Wrathstone, Scalebreaker, and Dragonhold.
- It allows you to become a Necromancer with various death weapons, such as Grave Lord, Bone Tyrant, and Living Death.
- You can hunt, fight, and defeat dragons with various skills, weapons, and abilities that you have.
Official website: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/
Guild Wars 2 – Most Popular MMORPGs
In Guild Wars 2, you will be able to explore the world of Tyria with its various mysteries and stories that you can uncover as you go along.
There are various races in Tyria which you can befriend and interact with.
With the world that is alive and waiting to be explored, there will be lots of discoveries that you can find throughout the Tyria landscape.
There are lots of things that you can do in this game, and best of all, it doesn’t require any monthly subscription fee to play.
- Shape your own story and uncover various mysteries and tales surrounding Tyria.
- There are lots of races to choose from in Tyria, each with their own abilities and skills.
- It provides competitive plays for all players, with lots of interesting things to discover.
- Lots of combat styles, professions, and dynamic events to experience throughout the gameplay.
- You can explore the world full of fantasy that is alive and keep being expanded.
Official website: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XIV is another online version of the Final Fantasy series after Final Fantasy XI, which has attracted more than 16 million players worldwide.
If you are a Final Fantasy fan, Final Fantasy XIV will bring you to a world even more expansive than the regular Final Fantasy games that you have played before.
Moreover, you will find lots of familiar characters from this franchise, combined with beautiful graphics and great storyline.
- Lots of characters to choose from.
- Beautiful graphics, a great fantasy world, and lots of stories to uncover.
- Build your own characters and fight in your own way, while uncovering your own story path.
- It offers various classes and jobs, limit breaks, as well as dungeons and primal.
- Various DLC expansions are available, including Heavensward, Shadowbringers, Stormblood, and A Realm Reborn.
Official website: https://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/
World Of Warcraft – Most Played MMORPGs
World of Warcraft is probably one of the earliest and most popular MMORPGs that people still play even today.
Released for the first time in 2004, this game has captivated the interests of millions of players worldwide.
In this game, you will explore the world of Azeroth where lots of races live and battle each other.
The game itself is the fourth game released in the Warcraft franchise, setting a few years after the event that happened in Warcraft III.
- Aside from the MMORPG, you can also find additional stories and other materials in various forms, such as comics, audios, books, and more.
- Various competitive plays available, such as Mythic Raid Hall of Fame, PvP Leaderboards, and Mythic Keystone Dungeon Leaderboards.
- Lots of races, classes, and talents to choose from in your adventure.
- Battle of Azeroth is available as the newest expansion for this game.
- Various things to do to earn in-game rewards to level up your characters and progress on your story.
Official website: https://worldofwarcraft.com/
Black Desert Online
Black Desert Online is a fantasy MMORPG with sandbox elements released for Microsoft Windows in 2015, as well as for PS4 and Xbox One in 2019.
It focuses on beautiful graphics and cutesy characters that you can customize as much as you want.
Taking place in the world where rival nations are battling each other, the gameplay is offered similarly as third-person shooters.
You can find various characters and various things to do in this game.
- Beautiful graphics that depict the world, environment, and characters in the best way possible.
- Detailed character customizations that give you lots of options to personalize your characters.
- There are 18 races to choose from, each with its own abilities and specialties.
- The combat is done in real-time, which fully utilizes your skills to determine your victory.
- The world is free to explore with the sandbox or open-world elements that allow you to complete quests at your own pace.
Official website: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/
RuneScape – Most Played MMORPGs
RuneScape is an online fantasy RPG that you can play for free on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Released for the first time in 1999, the game keeps going up in popularity and attract many new players even in 2019.
It is also an MMORPG that has been listed in the Guinness World Records as the most popular free MMORPG.
In this game, you will explore the world of Gielinor that is jam-packed with lots of races, stories, guilds, and various other things to explore.
- It offers a diverse selection of races, guilds, skills, and story elements.
- It has wonderful graphics that are kept being updated regularly.
- It stays true to the old RuneScape that was released for the first time in 1999.
- You can train your skills without any set for classes, and you can start uncovering your own story path based on your gameplay preferences.
- It is playable for free.
Official website: https://www.runescape.com/
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Among the various online games under the Star Wars franchise, The Old Republic is a very popular MMORPG that allows you to explore the Star Wars universe and uncover various quests and mysteries while playing cooperatively with other players.
In this game, your goal is to rule the galaxy while preparing the strongest allies to battle various enemies.
Whether you choose the light or the dark side, it is completely your choice.
- Explore the Star Wars universe while walking your own story path based on the side that you choose.
- You can play with your style, with many skills to use and learn.
- The digital expansion, Knights of the Eternal Throne, is available for free for premium players.
- Expansive world to explore, giving you various interesting things to discover throughout your personal adventure.
- You can join with up to 3 allies to fight your enemies to rule the galaxy.
Official website: https://www.swtor.com/
EVE Online – Most Played MMORPGs
EVE Online is an MMORPG with space as its main theme, which you can play both as a free or premium player.
In this game, you can explore the immense space world in a sandbox style, with various paths to choose from.
You can follow your own story, craft your own characters and level them up, as well as battling other players for resources.
It is community-driven, and the world is always expanded to give you more things to discover.
- It is free to play both for Windows and Mac operating systems, with premium play available.
- EVE Invasion is the new expansion for this MMO game, allowing you to battle your enemies for territories and resources.
- A huge explorable sandbox-style space world that you can explore with your spaceships.
- You can do mining, exploration, battles, and various other things in this game.
- The world is always expanded with new adventures and paths for the players to choose from.
Official website: https://www.eveonline.com/
SoulWorker – Most Popular MMORPGs
SoulWorker is an anime-style MMORPG available for Windows operating system since 2018 (for North American release).
This game revolves around the story in a fantasy world where there are demons for you to fight.
In the past, there was a portal that transported demons to your world, while sucking out some children to the outer world.
Now, in the present time, the children that were sucked out to the outer world come back again to the world, equipped with powers to defeat the demons.
These powers are called souls. You will use your soul as your weapon against the demonic attacks that are plaguing your world.
- Beautiful anime-style graphics that make the world exploration even more interesting.
- Lots of battle styles that you can use to fight demons, depending on your characters.
- Good storyline, bringing you the quests to save humanity from demonic destructions.
- Fully voiced characters, both for the Japanese and Korean language versions.
- Lots of action-packed fast-paced gameplay that you can enjoy throughout your adventure.
Official website: https://soulworker.gameforge.com/
Lineage II – Most Played MMORPGs
Released for the first time in 2004 in North America, Lineage II has been building a loyal player base up until today.
It is the second game in the Lineage series, but the story is a prequel that sets 150 years prior to the events that happened in the original game.
This is an MMORPG that is free to play, but you can purchase in-game items with real money to enhance your experiences throughout your adventure.
The world in Lineage II is called Aden, which you can explore freely to uncover your own personal storyline.
- Choose your allegiance between the kingdoms that are having wars in the world of Aden.
- Choose between 7 races to create your own unique avatar to start your adventure.
- You can engage in massive clan battles with lots of enemies to defeat.
- Use your skills to win on various combats and raids against your foes.
- You can also play the Lineage II classic to relieve the classic and original adventure of Lineage II as it was released back in 2004 in North America.
Official website: https://www.lineage2.com/
The Lord Of The Rings Online
The Lord of the Rings Online is an MMORPG released in 2007 for the Windows and Mac OSX platforms, which is based on the world of The Lord of the Rings.
In this game, you can explore the world of Middle-Earth and complete story quests for your characters.
The game was originally offered as a subscription-based MMORPG, but as time goes by, the publishers switched it to free-to-play, with a premium subscription option available.
- It has various storylines presented in volumes. Each volume has various books that uncover the sub-stories for the game.
- Challenges are offered depending on your class and race, with traits and deeds system.
- You can craft various items in this game, as well as build your own house and live in it.
- Player vs. Monster Player combat is available to give you a gameplay variation from the main storyline.
- Skirmishes are available to help enhance and improve your characters in goal-oriented battles.
Official website: https://www.lotro.com/
TERA – Most Popular MMORPGs
TERA is an MMORPG released in 2012 in North America for Microsoft Windows and 2018 worldwide for PS4 and Xbox One.
The game takes place in the world called the Exiled Realm of Arborea, which was created out of two gigantic beings named Arun and Shara.
Out of them, the world of Arborea was created along with the two main continents and various races that inhabit the world.
You will play as the characters from the races that are available in the world of Arborea, with various quests and stories that you can unlock throughout your adventure.
- It is available both for PC and consoles, with expansive and gorgeous world to explore.
- You can customize your characters based on the races that you choose based on your preferences.
- Fast-paced action combats that give you active and exciting gameplay throughout your adventure.
- You can choose various classes, such as Archer, Mystic, Berserker, and more.
- It is updated regularly, with the latest big update called Skywatch: Antiquities available to play right now.
Official website: http://tera.enmasse.com/
Blade And Soul
Blade and Soul is a fantasy MMORPG developed by a South Korean company NCSOFT, which was released in 2012 for Korean region and in 2016 for North American region.
In this game, you can explore the fantasy open-world setting and battle enemies using the combination of various martial arts.
The anime television series for this game was also released in 2014, featuring 13 episodes based on the online game.
- It features deep character customizations that allow you to customize various aspects of your characters down to the smallest details.
- Great combat system with various martial arts to choose for your characters.
- There are four main playable races that you can play in your adventure.
- There are various classes that you can choose based on your character’s ability.
- The game is available to play for free in Microsoft Windows and mobile platforms.
Official website: https://www.bladeandsoul.com/
Secret World Legends – Best MMORPGs
While many other MMORPGs usually allow you to explore a fantasy world, Secret World Legends is a bit different.
This is an MMORPG that is set on a modern-day world, where you can fight enemies in the form of occult forces.
It has the elements of regular MMORPG, which include leveling up, crafting, developing skills, and more, with a more modern theme and storyline.
In this game, you need to complete certain missions in order to progress in the story and defeat the occult terrorist groups.
- It has a unique setting and storyline, which is set in a modern-world instead of a fantasy world.
- Lots of missions and investigations that you need to undergo to uncover the truth in the storyline.
- Lots of weapons and superhuman abilities you can use to combat your otherworldly enemies.
- Dark and mature storyline with great narratives, plunging you deeper into the world of Secret World Legends as you solve each mystery and complete each mission.
- Lots of places to travel to, including Seoul, London, Egypt, and more.
Official website: https://www.secretworldlegends.com/
Elite Dangerous – Most Popular MMORPGs
Elite Dangerous is an MMORPG combined with space-flight simulation genre that allows you to take control of your own starship.
In this game, you can explore the galaxy, fight your enemies, and manage your starship.
- Set in the year 3300, it offers an open-ended gameplay which allows you to enjoy this game freely in any way you prefer.
- You can do various activities in this game, including mining, trading, bounty-hunting, exploring, and more.
- Available for PC, Mac, PS4, and Xbox One.
- Various seasons are available for you to experience, including Elite Dangerous, Horizons, and Beyond.
- Lots of activities that you can do in this game to progress on your adventure.
- Explore the vast galaxy that resembles the Milky Way Galaxy with your own starship, which you can upgrade from time to time.
- Epic starship battles, with various customizations and skills to develop.
Official website: https://www.elitedangerous.com/
MapleStory 2 – Most Played MMORPGs
MapleStory 2 offers 3D-block MMORPG that gives you a unique and colorful adventure.
It is available for free, and it features various improvements when compared to the first game in the series.
In MapleStory 2, you have the complete freedom to create your character, explore the 3D-block universe, and battle interesting enemies along the way.
You are the one that determines your own storyline and adventure. You also have the complete tools to build your own dream world within this game.
- Beautiful and colorful 3D-block world that you can explore or create for yourself.
- It features various improvements when compared to the first MapleStory game.
- Create and customize your character and determine your own adventure.
- Various classes and jobs are available in this game.
- It is available for free for Microsoft Windows platform.
Official website: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/
Star Trek Online – Most Popular MMORPGs
Star Trek Online offers an amazing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game based on the Star Trek universe.
In this game, you can explore the new worlds in order to find new civilizations and intelligent life.
The universe is kept being expanded with new worlds to explore, as well as new stories to uncover.
This game is available for free for the Windows, PS4, and Xbox One platform.
- Explore the world of Star Trek that allows you to discover various interesting things in the galaxy, including new civilizations and intelligent beings.
- You can combat your enemies both on the ground and using your spaceship.
- You will get a personalized adventure by uncovering your own life path in the game.
- Lots of iconic characters from the Star Trek franchise are being featured in the game with the regular updates.
- Rise of Discovery is the new update that you can play on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 right now.
Official website: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online
Neverwinter – Most Played MMORPGs
Neverwinter is a fantasy MMORPG that brings you into the world of Neverwinter, which is plunged into chaos due to the disappearance of the last lord of Neverwinter.
You can choose between eight character classes that are available in this game to start your adventure, which are the same classes that are available in the Dungeons and Dragons series.
- Neverwinter is a game that is developed based on the modified version of Dungeons and Dragons, with its own storyline and gameplay elements.
- It is available for free for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
- The world is made based on Dungeons and Dragons, so Dungeons and Dragons players can feel at home when playing this game.
- Action combat system that is engaging to play.
- Choose from 8 character classes to begin your epic adventure.
- Good graphics with beautiful story narratives and fantasy elements.
Official website: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter
EverQuest – Most Popular MMORPGs
EverQuest is an online multiplayer role playing game that has been around since 1999, providing massive fantasy world, lots of dungeons to explore, challenging battles, and epic quests.
It is available to play for free on Microsoft Windows and Mac OS. Back in the day when it was released, this game achieved massive success and gathered millions of players worldwide. It is still popular even today in 2019.
- A great and massive fantasy world to explore.
- Lots of challenging enemies to battle and dungeons to explore.
- The gameplay has traditional RPG elements in it, which is perfect for those who prefer playing traditional-style online RPG.
- It offers various classes, deities, and zones within the game.
- Lots of expansion titles to play, with the latest expansion released in 2018, titled The Burning Lands.
Official website: https://www.everquest.com/
Albion Online – Most Played MMORPGs
Albion online is a free-to-play cross-platform fantasy sandbox MMORPG that gives an endless possibility for players to do various things inside this game.
There are lots of elements that are being integrated in the game, such as PvP battle, farming, exploration, dungeon crawling, and more.
And with its cross-platform capability, you can play with other players no matter what device that they are using to play the game.
- Polish your teamwork skills by participating in PvP battles.
- Game economy that is driven by players, such as farming, hunting, trading, crafting, and more.
- You’ll be building and furnishing your home in Albion.
- Customize your characters with no restrictions and no classes.
- Lots of challenges to overcome, such as Demons of Hell, Keepers of Albion, The Heretics, The Undead, and more.
Official website: https://albiononline.com/
These are the most played and best MMORPGs that you can play today. Some of them have been around for more than a decade, while some others have just been released recently.
Best of all, you can do it all with other online players, interacting and cooperating with them on a regular basis.
However, before choosing the best MMORPGs to play, what you need to know is whether the game that you choose has enough players in it.
This is because it won’t be fun when you play an MMORPG with only few players in it, since you usually can’t do much or progress the story faster with only a few active players.
So, choosing the best MMORPGs to play has everything to do with knowing whether the game is being played by many people or not, or whether the game is popular or not.
You can also play many of these games for free, meaning that you only need to download the game and play it right away.
You don’t need to pay for monthly subscription fees or the license of the game. Although, if you want better experiences, you might try subscribing for one of the premium MMORPGs like World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV just to find out about the differences between the free and paid ones.
In any case, if you want to start playing a good MMORPG in your spare time, with a huge world to explore, you can start by choosing the game from this list. Enjoy your game!
So, tell me which one of all these 20 Most Popular MMORPGs is your personal favorite and why?