Subnautica is a survival open world game that takes place deep underwater.
This game requires you to survive the underwater environment as you uncover the secrets of the environment.
There are exploration and survival elements that you can enjoy while playing this game.
You can do many things in this game because it gives you the freedom to explore the sandbox environment in any way you want.
If you like the type of game like Subnautica, there are other alternative games that you can play, which offer similar gameplay.
Top 20 Games Like Subnautica
Here are the top 20 games like Subnautica that allow you to explore and survive in the unknown world:
Subnautica: Below Zero
Subnautica: Below Zero is the sequel to Subnautica, which is still in its early access stage.
In this game, you will be able to take on an adventure in the freezing underwater environment, with lots of challenges for you to overcome.
The Early Access is currently available on Steam and Epic Games Store.
This game takes place one year after the original Subnautica, and in this game, you need to survive underwater by scavenging supplies and crafting tools as you progress in the storyline of the game.
- You can continue the story of Subnautica, with improvements in various aspects and greater visuals.
- You will explore the new Arctic region of Planet 4546B in the freezing underwater open-world adventure.
- You can uncover the main storyline of this game by unraveling the mysteries of the aliens who have come before you.
- There are lots of challenges that you need to overcome underwater.
- You can loot for supplies as well as craft various tools to assist you in your survival.
No Man’s Sky Beyond
No Man’s Sky Beyond is the expansion of the original No Man’s Sky, which is an open-world game that allows you to explore the vastness of space in the procedurallygenerated worlds.
In Beyond, you will find lots of improvements in various aspects of the original game, with the infinite possibilities that you can experience.
You can also uncover the storyline of this game and play in multiplayer mode.
- You can explore the varieties of unknown worlds with infinite possibilities in this game.
- You can set up and build your base on any planet that you prefer, with all the materials that you can loot from anywhere.
- You can play with other players in multiplayer mode with up to 32 players.
- You can also play this game in VR mode.
- There is a 30-hour storyline that you can follow to uncover the secrets of the universe.
Official Website: https://www.nomanssky.com/
Stranded Deep – Subnautica Alternatives
Stranded Deep is a survival game that puts you on an adventure somewhere around the Pacific Ocean after your plane has crashed there.
Now, you are left with nothing other than the will to survive and the whole unknown world for you to explore.
The storyline can change depending on how you play the game, as you overcome all the challenges that you experience in your adventure.
So far, this game is still in the Early Access stage.
- You can explore the infinite number of worlds that are procedurally generated, giving you different experiences every time you play this game.
- It has the unique and realistic crafting and building system.
- You can do some hunting and fishing to survive in this game.
- You can explore the unexplored areas to find new loots, collectibles, supplies, and more.
- You can monitor your survival rate in detail, such as by monitoring your thirst, hunger, blood, and health.
Astroneer – Games Like Subnautica
Astroneer is a game that will allow you to explore the vastness of space with your own aerospace industry.
You can explore every corner of the galaxy and find planets where you need to survive in.
In this game, you will undergo the discovery missions to find various valuables and unravel the mysteries of space at the same time.
You can also build your base anywhere you want, create space vehicles, and gather resources to support your survival.
- You can explore various planets with your spacecraft and discover various things there.
- You can build your base anywhere and create vehicles to traverse through the harsh environment that you encounter.
- You can play the game in multiplayer mode, up to 4 players at a time.
- You can explore the unknown worlds as you try to unlock the secrets of the universe.
- It is a sandbox game where you are free to do various things in your adventure.
The Forest is an open world game where your task is to survive in the harsh and difficult environment of The Forest.
In this game, you are stranded in a place that you didn’t understand.
It is a very large forest with lots of mysteries to uncover and threats to overcome.
On top of that, you are required to be able to survive in this environment while you explore each area one by one.
- It is a first-person open world game that gives you the realistic survival gameplay elements in your adventure.
- You are free to do anything in this game, and you are free to build your own camp, gather foods, and more.
- You will need to survive against threats like mutant enemies that are trying to kill you.
- While you explore, you can unravel the story behind this mysterious forest.
- You can fight your enemies by using stealth, or you can attack them directly.
The Long Dark
In this game, you are required to survive in the world that has been struck by a geomagnetic disaster that makes the world a cold and harsh place to live in.
The threats will come from the natural environment itself, forcing you to find various ways to keep yourself alive in this world.
As you explore the world, you will face many challenges that will determine your own will of survival.
- The game consists of multiple episodes that you can play through one after the other.
- Your goal in this game is for you to survive, and your failure in this game is for you to die.
- You will need to think for yourself regarding how you could overcome each challenge that you meet in your adventure.
- You will monitor various aspects of your health throughout the game and keep your body in good health.
- Lots of items, supplies, and valuables that you can find in this game, and you can also do various things with them to keep you survive.
Abzu – Games Like Subnautica
Abzu takes you in an underwater adventure where you can explore the vast underwater world while uncovering its mysteries along the way.
It is a great casual exploration game where you can enjoy the beautiful underwater visuals as you traverse the deep underwater environment.
You will take the role of a nameless diver that will discover the hidden worlds that are full of beauties and ancient mysteries.
- You will explore the depth of the ocean as you uncover the ancient mysteries in beautiful visuals.
- It has a fluid swimming control that allows realistic movements of your character.
- You can find various species that are based of real species underwater as you explore the deep.
- You will meet various dangers that you need to overcome as you dive deeper into the heart of the ocean.
- The gameplay is calming with relaxing music throughout your adventure.
ARK: Survival Evolved
ARK: Survival Evolved is the game that requires you to survive in an island environment where primeval creatures are roaming around.
You can explore the open-world environment and gather resources as you keep your character alive.
The primeval creatures can be your enemies, but they can also be your friends as you can tame, breed, and use them to your advantage.
- In this game, the goal is to survive amidst the environment full of deadly and dangerous primeval creatures.
- You can create your own tribe and work with others in your survival.
- You can craft various items that you can use to aid you to survive on this island.
- You can train and breed the dinosaurs, as well as plant and harvest crops.
- You can also build your own camp as well as other important structures that can protect you from dangers.
7 Days to Die
7 Days to Die is a game that will put you in a post-apocalyptic world where zombies are running freely, and you are forced to survive no matter what.
It is an open world game where you can explore the world freely, and you need to do what it takes to protect yourself from zombie attacks at the same time.
Crafting, building, shooting, and surviving are mixed together in this unique survival game.
- You can craft your weapons to fight the zombies that might attack and kill you anytime.
- You can also build structures that can help protect you from zombie attacks and increase your chance of survival.
- You can explore the vast environment and build your own world with other players.
- You can also increase your skill in various aspects, which can greatly increase your chance of survival.
- There are various quests that you can take and complete for rewards.
Minecraft – Games Like Subnautica
Minecraft is the game that allows you to create your own world and explore the worlds built with other players.
In this game, you are free to do anything, such as building, crafting, looting, and more.
It gives your creativity the biggest chance to shine as you keep building your world and protecting it from various threats.
The worlds that you can explore will be everexpanding, with endless possibilities for you to experience.
- The open world is always expanding, and the things that you can do are always being added to the game.
- You can build your own world the way you see fit and explore the worlds made by other players.
- You can also fight enemies in the night in order to protect your world and survive.
- You can gather various things in this game, including building materials, items, loots, and more.
- There are lots of skin packs and texture packs that are available to expand your gameplay.
Official Website: https://www.minecraft.net/
Firewatch is an open world adventure survival game that sets in the wilderness of Wyoming in the year 1989.
In this game, you can explore the wilderness environment while keeping in touch with someone with a handheld radio.
This is your only way to communicate with other people in this world.
As you survive the environment, you will need to be keep in touch with the other person while trying to reach him.
- You will need to uncover the story about the mystery of the wilderness that you are exploring.
- You can see beautiful environments that keep on being expanded as you explore them.
- It offers a unique gameplay and a unique storyline with great music.
- There are great character animations that are realistic to look at.
- There are secrets that you can unlock on every hill that you visit and explore.
Starbound gives you an unending exploration full of mysteries to uncover in the vastness of the universe.
In this game, you are a space explorer that has taken the exploration project around the universe, but your ship suddenly gets damaged.
You are left with a damaged ship on an unknown planet, and you are forced to survive in the environment.
Not to mention that there are threats lurking at every corner, trying to kill you.
- This game gives you the infinite possibilities to experience it and create your own story.
- You are free to do anything in this game, and all your decisions will affect your outcome.
- There are endless places that you can visit in the infinite universe in this game, and there are endless ways to survive.
- You can build your own world on any planet that you choose, gathering material resources, crafting, and more.
- You can also play this game in multiplayer mode, and you can also modify this game with various available mods to enhance your gameplay experience.
Raft is a unique survival game that gives you the thrilling survival adventure in the vast ocean.
Just with your raft, you will need to survive in the middle of the ocean without any single island that you can see.
You are forced to survive with the environment around you as you try to find a safe place to embark on.
You will need to deal with all the challenges while you are trying to keep yourself alive.
- You can play this game both in single player and multiplayer mode.
- You can craft various survival equipment, weapons, and other tools to stay alive.
- You will need to overcome the challenges that you meet in the sea as you try to keep yourself alive.
- You can also dive into the ocean to gather more resources that are vital for your survival.
- You can build and expand your raft over time, giving you a better place and a better chance of survival.
Space Engineers is the game that allows you to survive in the outer space by building structures that will support your space exploration and survival.
In this game, you can explore the outer space in any way you want due to it being a sandbox game, and you can also build space stations, spacecrafts, planetary outposts, and various other structures.
You can gather resources on any planet that you want and go on your own adventure in your own way.
- It is a sandbox space exploration game that allows you to explore the depth of the outer space without any limit.
- You can build any structure of any size to support your planetary exploration missions.
- You can gather resources on nearby planets and expand your base further.
- The environments are made to be realistic and physics-based, so you can feel the real challenge in this game.
- There are creative and survival modes, with lots of planets and moons to visit with their own characteristics.
Satisfactory – Games Like Subnautica
Satisfactory is a game about creating factories on an alien planet while trying to survive at the same time.
In this game, you can explore the open-world environment in the first-person perspective, and you can also fight enemies using various weapons as you explore the landscape.
You can play alone or with friends in multiplayer mode.
Your goal is to build as many factories as possible in the land while trying to survive in the unknown environments.
- You can explore the unknown planet while building multiple factories that can be expanded in any way you want.
- There is also a first-person shooter element included in this game, allowing you to survive against various threats.
- You can automate and optimize your factories to provide the essential things for you to survive on the planet.
- There are various vehicles that you can drive to travel the landscape.
- It features an open-world environment that you can explore as much as you want, with lots of customizations for the factories that you build.
The Solus Project
The Solus Project is the game that allows you to explore the uninhabited planet alone.
It uses the first-person perspective to give you the realistic feelings in your adventure.
In this game, you need to survive the harsh environment of an unknown planet, with lots of challenges that you need to overcome.
There are hundreds of hidden secrets that you can find on this planet as you explore the sandbox environment.
- You can explore the seemingly uninhabited planet and uncover various secrets that are buried deep within.
- It features a dynamic atmosphere and weather system, which gives you the realistic feeling of being on a distant and unknown planet.
- You need to survive in the harsh environment alone, with natural disasters, meteors, and other threats lurking at every corner.
- Your activities will determine the health of your body, and you need to keep your body in good condition if you want to survive.
- You can scavenge various items to build your own communication device to get help from your home planet.
Slime Rancher – Subnautica Alternatives
Slime Rancher gives you the freedom to live as a slime rancher in the distant planet where survival is the most important thing to do.
In this game, you will make a living by collecting slimes, harvesting crops, and gathering resources to keep yourself alive.
This game offers a colorful sandbox environment that you can explore as much as you can.
Doing business and surviving on this planet is what you need to do in this game.
- You can collect slimes and sell them to earn money to get everything that you need to survive.
- You can also grow crops, gather resources, and do various other things to survive.
- You can explore the sandbox environment in any way you want, using your vacpack to store all your resources.
- You can also upgrade your vacpack using the money that you have earned in your business.
- There are lots of secrets and hidden treasures that you can unlock in this game.
Natural Selection 2
In Natural Selection 2, what you need to do is to survive against the attacks from aliens in the dynamic environments.
This is a survival shooter game that allows you to explore the dynamic environments while securing it from any attacks of the aliens.
There are lots of possibilities that you can experience in the game, as the game will put you in random locations with ever-changing environments.
- It is the sequel to the first Natural Selection, where there are improvements in combat, strategy, and survival elements.
- You can choose to play either as the human or the alien and complete your objectives according to your role.
- It combines the real-time strategy and first-person shooter, allowing you to experience an immersive gameplay in combat.
- You can also gather resources and build various structures to help you survive more.
- It features the dynamic environments that keep on changing every time you play.
Rust gives you only one goal in the game, which is to survive no matter what.
This is because you are surrounded by things that are trying to kill you at anytime.
That’s why you have to protect yourself and prevent it from happening.
Other players and various animals are trying to end your life, and at the same time, you have to keep your body in good condition by overcoming thirst, hunger, and cold.
- The game requires you to survive despite all the challenges that you face inside and outside your body.
- You can create allegiance with other players in order to protect yourself against animals and other players.
- You can kill animals for meat and build shelter to give you more protection.
- You can explore the open world environment in this game and use it to your advantage.
- The multiplayer mode is cross-platform.
Green Hell gives you the chance to survive in the Amazonian forest alone.
As you go through the forest and explore the nook and cranny, you will face various challenges that require you to protect yourself.
You also need to adapt to the environment and protect yourself from the problems in your body and mind.
You need to find your own food and equipment along the way.
- It offers you the realistic survival simulation in the Amazonian rainforest where every action that you take matters the most.
- You need to find your own foods and craft your own equipment to survive.
- You also need to deal with wounds, diseases, and challenges in your body.
- You can build your own camp, create traps for animals, and do various basic survival activities.
- It offers beautiful graphics that depict the Amazonian rainforest realistically.
Explore and survive. These are the games that you can play that offer you the similar gameplay elements as Subnautica.
Whether you need to survive deep underwater, in the outer space, or anywhere else, these games provide you with the variety of experiences that you are seeking.
Most of the games are available on multiple platforms, and you can easily find them on Steam if you are playing on PC.
So, let’s start surviving!
So tell me, which one of all these games like Subnautica are your personal favorite and why?